Friday, October 12, 2007

The Con Man

Today I am sitting at home going through things, doing homework, cleaning, and watching my dvr'd Dr. Phil's and I came across a Dr. Phil episode about a man who is a self-proclaimed "Con Man." He has conned people across various career areas like the Red Cross, the catholic church, and big corporate businesses. I was disgusted at this man's various issues but....I realized that in the real world I am not far from the "Con Man"

How many times do I say something doesn't bother me when it does? How many times do I do little white lies to get ahead in life? How many times do I skim off the top of my work or not quite do things to my best capability? How many times do I tell the story a little differently to make myself look favorable in the eyes of the audience? I am confronted by this today in so many ways that I can barely stand myself. I think that we are often a part of cons and don't even know it.

We con ourselves into believing that we don't have blame in a confrontation. We con ourselves into believing that we don't have "time" to spend with Jesus. We con ourselves into believing that we have the right "intentions" when we obviously don't.

Today, I am going to try to step up the honesty and be the real me, no matter how flawed.

--E--

No comments: