Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Pirates of the Carribbean and Jesus

I know the title of today's blog may sound strange but I promise it will make sense by the end. Anthony and I have just recently purchased annual passes to Disneyland. We are extremely excited as we saved for them and they are so we can have dates even when we are saving so radically for our wedding and future. Anyway, we are enjoying our passes and have already got our money's worth. In saying that, we have favorite features and they are different but we both love them. His is Astro Blasters and mine is Pirates of the Caribbean. They are both extra fun and entertaining but I have just recently realized how I relate Pirates to my quiet time with the Lord.

Let's imagine Disneyland is the world. It's chaotic, loud, exciting, demanding, expensive, and there are rude people everywhere. Everywhere you turn there is another gadget or toy that you just have to have. There are children screaming, crying, laughing, running everywhere. There are adults with happy faces, grumpy faces, angry faces, sad faces and the like. There are couples clinging to each other in the early stages of love. There are pictures being snapped at every kodak photo op and there are lines upon lines of waiting to get you to the next big attraction.

Isn't that just like life? It's all those things. There are always things around you that other people have that look so enticing. There are always different types of people around to make life easier, harder, or different for you. There are always opportunities to wait on God for the next thing in your life that is supposed to be happening. Lately I have been in a perpetual Disneyland Line waiting for God to do things toward marriage/career/children, etc...

So now let's talk about Pirates of the Caribbean. If you haven't been to Disneyland, it's really fantastic and here is the run down. You load onto this boat with approximately 11-17 other people. They have rows and you are given a row with whomever you are with. It starts with a relaxing row down a stream of darkness when all of the sudden you are plunged down quickly and then plunged yet again. After these plunges, you then are in a relaxing row again and you see all kinds of different scenes. You see scenes of pleading and begging for life, you see fear and trepidation, battle and warfare, and laughter and rejoicing. There are also rooms full of treasure and enjoying the plunder. It ends with a climb up back into daylight where you are deposited back at the dock and are made to go through the LINE yet again if you want to ride again.

I relate this to my quiet time with Jesus. I know, you are not quite following but I promise I am getting there. When I enter God's presence I experience a quiet peace of a few seconds where I finally feel cool and release from the days heat and pressures. Then I get plunged into his presence once or twice where I am made to see my shortcomings and feel almost unworthy or shaken up to be in his presence. After that we are rolling slowly again but I have to look around constantly because he is showing me tons of areas. I row into the area where there is pleading and begging and I think of myself and my desires and weaknesses. I plead before God for forgiveness for not acknowledging him in my life and not trusting him with all of my desires. I then see fear and trepidation when I express to Him how afraid I am to continue trusting him and how afraid I am for all of the new things he is doing in my life. I then confront the battle and warfare where Satan is attacking me throughout my day and where he is bringing hard cirumstances into my life and I ask God to help me get through. More than anything there are moments of laugher and joy where I thank God intensely for the awesome things he has done in my life and how he has always been with me and saved me and forgiven me. This is my treasure and my plunder.

The "ride" with God ends by me climbing back into my day and being ready for more time with him but realizing I have to get back into the line and do life just to get back to his presence.

This ride is my favorite and now I know why, I compare it to one of the most wonderful portions of my day. The time with my Lord and Savior. I am in love with him and next time I go on Pirates (next tuesday) ...I will realize all those seasons of prayer and rejoice that there is a tangible place I can be reminded.

I love you Lord.

--Erica--

No comments: