Thursday, July 05, 2007

Faith, you gotta have it.

In the 80's (a very interesting musical decade) George Michael wrote a song called Faith. It was about a girl who was mistreating him and he was trying to get the courage to step away from her and go on with his life and needed "faith" to do so. I took some of the words from it today because I have been reading about faith in the Bible and it applied.

Before this river
Becomes an ocean
Before you throw my heart back on the floor
Oh baby I reconsider
My foolish notion
Well I need someone to hold me
But I'll wait for something more

Yes I've gotta have faith...


This verse is clearly talking about a romantic relationship but I paralelled it with my relationship with sin. Sin is my boyfriend at times. I cling to it, go out with it, wear it, have pride in it and then hate being with it after it's all said and done. This verse reminded me of sin because boy does the river of sin become an ocean and it always throws my heart to the floor. And then as the verse progresses it talks about needing someone to hold him. Isn't that what our sin lives are all about. We lie to make ourselves feel or look better, we have sex to fill up a void in our hearts, we eat to cover up our pain or be held for just a moment, we accumulate wealth to make sure we feel safe, secure, and held. Every single time we choose to wait for something more though...we will find HIM. The something more is my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Jesus can fill those voids in our lives. He can make us feel fulfilled like George so wanted in his 80's hit song. This really wasn't to admit my love of George Michael but just to come to awareness of how sweet God's love is. It's amazing that all he asks from us is to have faith. In Romans 1:17 he says that a man (or woman) is righteous only through faith. There is nothing we can do to attain this righteousness but just trust him. I think that's amazing. In this world, to attain any comfort, peace, success, status etc...we have to work our butts off and then hope it holds up. Not in God's kingdom, we just need to abandon all of our reason and simply have FAITH.

Maybe George Michael got it right..at least once. The bathroom incident, I can't support though.

--Erica--

No comments: