Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Huh?

So I just posted a blog over at Max Factor about the current news articles pertaining to race. I will keep from writing about those things again but I do have to write about race again this morning. Last night, Anthony and I took Max and my nephew Shawn out to do a few errands. We had to go to Starbucks to pick up something, go to Wal-mart to pick up water, and then we were headed home. Starbucks is our family so it went as always, a pleasant trip. We got to Wal-mart and loaded into a cart and headed back to fill up our water jugs when a lady was coming down the aisle with 6 children. She quickly stepped out of the way and apologized for covering up the whole aisle. Anthony responded by saying, "It's okay, it looks like you have your hands full." She immediately started talking to us about any and everything...but this is what stood out.

She mentioned that all of the children were her grandchildren and they ranged in age from 6 months to 6 years and she had custody of all of them. I could begin by opening that can..but I won't. The next statement is what hung in the air very uncomfortably. She said, matter of factly, "They're mixed too!" I have no idea why this was important to share but I am pretty sure I can guess. I will note that these children were pretty clearly mixed race and I don't think we needed the information. It did not follow the discussion in any way and came completely out of center field. I wish I could say this was the first time this had happened. Rewind to a few months ago

Anthony and I had to take Max to an appointment in Louisville as a follow up. We stopped at the Waffle House by the Hospital to have breakfast as we got there early for our appointment. We found a table and a waitress quickly came over and gave us menus and asked to see our baby. We took the car seat off and she said this, "Oh my gosh, he's so cute. My daughter has a mixed baby!" (insert Erica's confused face)

Why do I need to know that?????? And ready...here it is again

We were having dinner at Denny's in Louisville while Max was in the NICU and this happened. We sat down and the waitress came over to give us menus and greet us. She asked us immediately, did you all have a baby? We answered yes and figured the bags under our NICU eyes were starting to show but she quickly explained she noticed our hospital bracelets that gave us access to the NICU.  She asked to see a picture and of course, we were just days into being parents and so excited to show off our gorgeous Maxwell. She took the phone and put it by Anthony's face and said "He looks just like his daddy!" Anthony responded by saying, "I think he looks a little like both of us. He has her mouth." The waitress immediately shook her head no and said "I know mixed babies and this one looks like you!" WHAT? You know ALL mixed babies! That's amazing.

These are just three examples but almost every time random people meet Max, they tell me about the "MIXED BABY" in their lives! Why? Are they the same person that tell you about their "Black friend?!" Please help me understand why this keeps happening. I don't care about your knowledge of Mixed children and don't imply because you know one, you know Max. UGH. I am tired...so tired!

--E--

1 comment:

Jess said...

It makes me sad (and angry) that these types of racial thoughts and actions are still so prevalent today. There are way too many ignorant and sometimes flat out rude people running around. It is very upsetting to me, and I can't imagine the ways you feel when people act that way and say those things.

I try my best to be a change maker, but somedays it seems we take one step forward and four back.

xoxo