Wednesday, June 26, 2013

NO MO DOMA

So today in the news, there was a monumental decision made. The Defense of Marriage Act, the law barring the federal government from recognizing same sex marriages that were legalized by the states, is unconstitutional as ruled by the Supreme Court today in a 5-4 vote. This morning, I woke up to a barrage of posts on my Facebook about this issue and they went drastically one way or the other. Some folks were on the side of the Supreme Court and were very excited about having their own marriage recognized, having a loved one's marriage recognized, or just seeing further equality in our country. The other side of people were those that feel that this decision is leading the country down a sinful path and we are tolerating sin in a way we haven't before. I am sure you are all chomping at the bit to hear what Erica is going to rant about today. Maybe you'll be surprised.

I think that everyone who reads this blog already knows I am a Bible Believing, Loving Jesus continually..Christian. I also am a lover of people because my Bible tells me to be Christ-like. I am far more concerned about being like Christ than worrying about who is getting married and who isn't. I wanted to argue a further point today in the body of Christ. Anthony and I were discussing this issue over breakfast this morning and it never ceases to amaze us the people who are so one sided and completely blind to their own issues. This morning, a friend of mine on Facebook, who I know VERY well put some very judgmental and hateful things on their status. It pretty much was just a post about how spiritual and righteous they are and how very grieved they are that our country has made this decision and given permission to sin.

Without even arguing about what is sin and what isn't...let me just note that the minute you are born, you have the permission to sin. God gave us FREE WILL and we have to choose to love him by our obedience. It is not as if the federal government has to give us permission to do something. Ever wonder why our jails are full? It certainly isn't because the federal government says it is okay to kill people, steal from others, or victimize children. Those things I am completely comfortable saying ARE SIN and people do them, with or without the federal government okaying it. Those things are also illegal or punishable by law. It sounds sometimes in these kinds of posts, that people forget the difference between sin and illegal activity. IF you believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin.....do you also believe it should be punishable by law? It is an interesting question to ask yourself.

I will go one step further and say that if you believe that marriage relationships between two people of the same gender are not recognized, you are punishing them by law. In the same way, maybe we should extend that same regard to all of your sins?! You think? Would you like to be stripped of your rights because you lied? Or maybe because you lusted? Or coveted your neighbors brand new Mustang (wait, is that just me?)
I smell a pharisee! This post is not to argue if homosexuality is a sin or not. It is not a post to decide whether God is okay with these marriages or not. I will not and can not speak for God. It is an issue of equality and compassion. I am called by my faith and my relationship with Christ to be compassionate, caring, loving, and accepting of others regardless of their walk. I am so glad that Christ is all of those to me and loves me EQUALLY even though I fall on my face constantly doing the same things.

Although I am no biblical scholar and certainly don't count myself among the best Christians I know, I love Jesus and I love others. I love all of you in my life. Those that practice heterosexuality, those that practice homosexuality, and those that just practice sexuality. I believe you deserve to have all of the rights that I have. More than anything, I want you to know that Jesus loves you deeply and I don't think you are getting that message if you are hearing that your rights are less than my rights! That just isn't biblical...not to me anyway. Just imagine, this was Anthony and myself not even 50 years ago. Thank God others spoke for us that didn't necessarily want to marry a difference race but believed we had the right to choose who we marry and spend our lives with.

I am done now! Please be kind on the comments. I do not tolerate bigotry in any format! Thanks

--E--





No comments: