Friday, July 12, 2013

Day #2: Beauty

Beauty

There are so many quotes out there about beauty. "Beauty is only skin deep.." "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" etc... Webster Says...

Beauty: 1. The quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit. 2. A beautiful person or thing; especially; a beautiful woman
3. a particularly graceful, ornamental, or excellent quality. 4. A brilliant, extreme, or egregious example or instance.  

Over the course of my life, my opinion of beauty has gone through many stages. I thought I would show you how it has changed in pictures. This is my first glimpse of beauty as a little girl.  

Yes, I was in love with Michael Jackson (admittedly, I still sort of am) and he was beauty to me. I had no sexual feelings yet but I knew that his dark skin and big brown eyes were beautiful and every word that he sang made me swoon. Seems like the normal view of beauty as a little one.

As I moved into adolescence, beauty became more about things I wanted. This was beauty to me as a teenager:


I was a licensed driver and all I wanted was a 64 and 1/2 Ford Mustang (admittedly, I still do) Beauty had to do with things that I longed for, things I could touch, things that made me look cooler than I really am.

Then there was college. College shifted my view of beauty to a whole new level. Now beauty looked a lot like this:


In college, beauty looked like success and achievements. It felt good to get a Bachelor's Degree, then a Master's Degree, be the commencement speaker for my class, etc... Yet this time..I realized the beauty that I saw...didn't go as far as those others did.

Adulthood (AS IN ..NOW)

I can't post a picture to this part because Beauty is something I Can no longer really see. Beauty is the sound of Max's giggle when he is staring at his daddy making faces at him. Beauty is the tear that rolls down my husband's cheek when we talk about God's love for us. Beauty is being able to talk about your child (whom you lost) and long for the day you get to meet them finally. Beauty is the smell of freshly mowed grass as you take a country drive with your family. Beauty is finally being able to say MY SON and introduce him to you! Beauty is the sacrificial love my husband has for me that models that of our Heavenly Father's love. Beauty is my relationship with Jesus. These things...they are beauty and there is no photo!

I hope you find some beauty in your day today!

No comments: