Saturday, January 03, 2009

Perfectionism defined


In my quest to stop being a perfectionist, I decided to look up the actual definition of perfectionism and I was astounded at the definitions. Here are the various ones I found:


  • a disposition to feel that anything less than perfect is unacceptable
  • a person who is displeased by anything that does not meet very high standards
  • The belief that a person can attain a state of sinlesslessness


These are so disturbing to me especially the last one being that with this belief, I don't need God. I obviously believe with all my heart that there is no way I could attain a state of sinlessness and God is the only way that I can even begin to be anything less than yucky! (Yes, yucky is an acceptable academic word) Upon reading this, I became not just tired of my ideas of perfectionism but absolutely disgusted by my attempts to take the place of a God who came to Earth for me as a human and took my place. I am DONE with perfectionism!

--e--

No comments: