Thursday, June 09, 2005

The smarter I am, the crappier it gets!

Hi everyone! Today's title doesn't seem very happy and maybe it isn't. Today I was reading my Bible (yes, I do that daily) and I came upon a verse from Ecclesiates 1:18. The verse is as such...

"For with much wisdom is much sorrow; as knowledge increases, grief increases."

How saddening is this statement? My whole life is a pursuit of wisdom. I have been seeking wisdom for the last almost 2 years. I met someone in my life that really challenged me to be a better Erica and since that day...I have been striving to be full of wisdom. I have wanted to be wise about myself, others, the world, literature, psychology, etc... That being said, it's no wonder that this blog for the last year has been filled with grief. I understand this verse almost more than any verse I have ever read in the scriptures.

Later on in Ecclesiates 2:24-26 this is stated (pay attention to the bolded area)

"A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness,but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind."

A part of me was very calmed by this verse but also a little confused. If an aquiring of wisdom brings grief....how does God give wisdom, knowledge, and happiness at the same time. I started to really think about this because well...I'm a thinker. Lately I have been seeking wisdom in a lot of areas. I want wisdom about the following things...

  • Myself
  • My friends
  • My family
  • Psychology
  • The World
  • God
  • Nutrition
  • Health
  • Relationships
  • Love
  • Character development
  • Cultures
  • Philosophy
  • Mechanics

The list sincerely goes on for miles. I seek so much wisdom and often times I literally get tired physically from wanting to know so much and not having the time to learn it. I decided to look at those verses from Eccl. 2 one more time and notice that the end of the passage says this..."a chasing after the wind"

I think this little part of the passage is very important because when we search for wisdom..sometimes it is a God-ordained search like my search for knowing myself and God and things like that. Sometimes it is just a mindless chasing of the wind like when I am searching for wisdom about a man who isn't supposed to be in my life. I know this makes no sense but wisdom can be fruitless or very fruitful. It will bring grief no matter what even when the wisdom is a healthy seeking like with looking for yourself. The world is an unhappy place and a very sad place at times and the more you know..the more you wish you didn't.

I also believe though that seeking wisdom in the healthy ways will bring spiritual fulfillment because God is moving through you and creating you to be a knowledgable, effective person in His kingdom. Overall, the consensus of what I found was...I will still seek every piece of wisdom that God wishes me to seek because no matter how much grief it brings.. I would rather be sad..than stupid!

Always put in such a classy way! Have a great day everyone and thanks for stopping in. Much love to you this beautiful Thursday!

~Erica~

No comments: