Monday, January 31, 2005

Honest people make me smile

Yesterday I had the distinct privelage of going on a date with my friend. We had a great time. I was able to share a meal, laughs, and a walk around spectrum with him. We had great conversation, great laughs, and numerous other pleasant times. I found out that the overall characteristic that I am looking for in a partner/friend is HONESTY. Honesty is terribly underrated. A lot of people view honest people as rude or obnoxious and often refer to them as blunt...but I think that's falsehood. I think it's refreshing to find someone who isn't afraid to be themselves and is proud of their uniqueness. I know we all have flaws and we all have things we shouldn't be doing but ....at least some are honest about their selfishness or their desires.

I am really tired of a world that uses God to get to others. I am tired of a world that uses lies and flattery to get somewhere very easy to get to with honesty. Be smart people! I mean, it's entirely easier for me to be attracted to someone who is brutally honest and genuine than superficial and fake. I am completely disgusted by these kind of interactions.

One of the most important men in my life, is a man of great honesty. Many people feel he is crass, abrasive, arrogant, and rude and maybe he is? I don't know. I don't view him that way. I look at him and think, "I wish I could be half that honest with others and myself!" He is someone who is very truthful with me in telling me when I am being wrong, stupid, or stubborn. He is also the same person who will come rescue me in a bad place, talk me through large amounts of tears, and bring me medicine if I am sick. This friend is one of the only friends I have had who is so multi-faceted. I didn't really start this post talking about him, but oh well..he fits the mold.

My other friend, who is new, is the one I went out with last night. He is adorable, sweet, funny, creative, and completely honest. For that reason, I can't help being hugely attracted to him. It's so nice to be attracted to someone and really be attracted to THEM because that is exactly what you get. I am hoping that I am displaying the actual woman that I am. I want to be authentic and genuine in all of my interactions. Now, I should note, there is a difference in being authentic and genuine and just plain rude. There is also a difference in telling people the truth and disclosing to much about yourself and opening yourself up to hurt.

We all must be very wise and guard our hearts above all else. We must forge forward knowing that we are doing the right thing by being ourselves but also present the best self that we have. I am not encouraging anyone to go out and tell everyone exactly what they are feeling or what is on their plate so to speak. I am asking you to be authentic in all of your interactions.

I challenge everyone reading this to be yourself (completely) for one day! It's absolutely refreshing and it will bring other people around to be themselves as well. You will find out the people you truly admire and love through this experience. For that matter, you'll find out who admires and loves you!

Well, I should get going because I have a "meeting" today but I hope you all have a great day and enjoy my learning and thankfulness for yesterday:

Learning January 30, 2005:

1. I have a good time with certain people and I am so thankful for them in my life.

2. There is the cutest shirt at Urban Outfitters that I really want that says "Hoosier Daddy..Indiana" --Isn't that awesome???

3. There are certain exercises that I found out about yesterday that burn a lot of calories.

4. Tupac Resurrection is a great documentary and I really liked it.

5. I never thought I would really get into novels but I have been enjoying them a lot lately.

Thankfulness January 30, 2005:

Thank you to Steven for a great night. It was nice to have a date with someone who makes me laugh and listens. I had a great time eating with you, sitting and listening to Jewel (ha ha) with you, shopping for just the right gym shorts, among the other great parts of the night. I really do appreciate your friendship and my life has been different since you entered it for sure. Thanks for a great time! :) Thank you God for a good friend!

~Shalom~

No comments: